Alex Kidd in Bro! No! (SMS)
Weary from travels, King Alex decided to meditate on top of the highest peak of Mt. Radaxian. In that plane where the lines blur between consciousness and dreaming, he would seek the energy and wisdom to help him become the ruler that his homeland deserved.
It was then and there that it happened. Shadowy figures came from behind and a cane struck the monkey child without warning, sending him into a deep sleep. There was no malice, no hatred. No mention of an old score. Only quick capture, and the promise of grim deeds to come.
When Alex awoke, his hands reflexively grasped towards his scalp. Gone! The crown was gone, and in its place an embarrasing reminder of the attack, in the shape of a bump. He opened his eyes, but there was only the blackness of an empty cell to greet him. Angered by this situation, Alex gathered all his martially artistic might and struck the floor of the cell while letting out a high pitched screech. To his surprise, the 8x8 tile he was standing on loosened from the rigid structure of the game world and fell straight down, transporting the monkey child safely with it to the ground of the room surrounding the cell. As it turns out, the cell was merely a smaller component of the larger cell that is the shimmering green Castle Tubulant.
And now... Alex Kidd knows what he must do. Break free from the shackles of his new surroundings, find the dirty thief who snatched his crown and take back what is rightfully his. Go, monkey boy, go!
This is a hack of Alex Kidd in Miracle World made with KiddEd. It is meant to be a second episode to Alex Kidd in Radaxian Rumble. It's a tougher game, so I highly recommend that you play through the previous games before trying this one.
The hack comes as an .ips patch and should be applied to a ver. 1.1 rom of the original game ("Alex Kidd in Miracle World (USA, Europe) (v1.1)", for example).
A huge thank you goes to Calindro for putting up with my questions and requests, making some changes to the original game possible, and for making and continuing work on KiddEd.
- All new levels placed in a somewhat different order to the first game
- New vehicle mechanics
- New in-game story scenes and characters
- New palettes in every level
- New mechanics and puzzles based on old assets
- New music
Tips & Tricks
- You can continue after losing all of your lives by holding up and mashing the A/1 button on the controller while on the game over screen. This costs 400 coins.
- Dying while on the bike in level 3 lets you continue playing that level above water.
- It's possible to keep using the cane after climbing a ladder. Just pause and unpause and you'll be flying again.
- You can swim faster by holding down the jump button.
- Skull blocks are often used as a warning in this hack.
- Spawning more than two items from a question mark block, a star block or a ghost block will despawn the first item spawned. The hack is designed around this limitation to create new challenges.
- It is actually possible to grab three items spawned in a row (for example money bags from star blocks) before one of them disappears, but you need to be quick!
- Spawning a ghost while another ghost is currently chasing Alex on screen will make the new one chase you immediately. Beware!
Ghosts dislike heights.
- There's a set order to how items spawn from question mark blocks. Observe and exploit.
- Alex cannot punch while close to the upper edge of the screen unless you're in a castle.
- Capsules do not save you from spikes or lava/swamps.
- Alex's punch reaches slightly longer than you might think...
- You can move further horizontally while falling by carefully moving off a platform's edge, letting go of the d-pad, then pressing the direction you want to go in.
- Similarly you can sometimes gain more mid-air/fall control by letting go of the jump button right after jumping, then touch a wall.
- While you can only keep one of each item in the inventory, using for example a ring lets you grab another one as a spare.
- Items in use do not carry over to the next level.
- Using an item cancels the effect of the item currently being used.
- It's easier to avoid some hazards than others due to forgiving hit detection. For example the ghost blocks, or the flames.
Latest updates (1.00):
Known issues (1.00):
-The newly placed money and item blocks in castle levels respawn when re-entering the rooms they're in (I've reported it to Calindro)
-One falling spiked platform in the final level glitching a bit upon landing